Working with Lidar Using ArcGIS Desktop is a ePub tutorial that uses publicly available lidar data to support individual or course instruction. While the text is not intended to be a replacement for theoretical text or a lidar course, it does provide step by step instructions on how to navigate through many of the lidar tools available in ArcMap. Online videos accompany each chapter are available via the Virginia Geospatial Extension Program YouTube Channel.
This tutorial requires a working knowledge of ArcMap (version 10.3 or higher). The text is applicable for ArcMap, not ArcGIS Pro.
Through this tutorial, you will learn how to:
- Find publicly available Lidar Datasets
- Interpret Metadata for USGS Lidar Datasets
- Prepare LAS Datasets for use in ArcGIS and work with LAS Data
- Use the 3D Analyst Toolbar
- Generate and interpret statistics for LAS Datasets
- Classify unassigned points in a Point Cloud
- Create a Digital Elevation Model using a Lidar Dataset
- Visualize Lidar Data in ArcScene
- Use Surface Constraints
- Create a Lidar Intensity Image
- Process LAZ Datasets
Learn MoreView eBook View Video